Wednesday 21 August 2013

First river adventure - Middlewood Road, Hillsborough

Ok, so heres the deal, ive been fly fishing for approximately 2 months come the first time i set foot on local rivers. I had been dabbling at Wharncliffe Fly Fishery where Ron (lake owner) showed me some pointers, techniques and recommended some flies. I had pulled out just 3 fish, all around the 1lb mark on a regularly stocked lake. It was costing £15 each time and i was frustrated as i didnt feel i was getting value for money as most days it was dead and nobody was catching, even out in the middle on the boats.

So, in mid August i set out on my first river adventure. The mighty Don. I had heard lost on forums, word of mouth and on other sites that it was still suffering from the industrial era. It didn't fill me with huge excitement but i thought why the hell not. If i can pull anything decent out of it, i will be a happy chappy.

After a 10minute google map searched followed by a quick scout on my lunch break i headed to the hillsborough area just off Middlewood Road. I actually parked the car on Winn Gardens as you can wander onto the river from there. I donned my wellies, my tackle and landing net and began to see what the river was like. Some of you know this section has the waterfall section just opposite claywheels lane and it meanders down eventually coming out near the football ground. Weather was clear, sun starting to go down at approximately 6:15pm. I got down into the river and looked at what i had learnt on the net and from my old man. I saw a flurry of rises in a few runs that went into a larger quieter pool. That was my aim to take stealth and load the line with my fly. I opted for a size 14 sedge, a favourite of mine over the past few months.
image

After a few false starts, including hooking a huge brance, i was into my rythym. Eventually landing the fly4 ft above the fish rising and letting it drift above their noses. I was using my handed down Daiwa 10ft rod. Not ideal for river fishing, but i like a challenge. 

After 20mins of several near misses i decided to change my fly. I put on an olive klinkhammer size 12. First cast, perfect. On the money and BOOM the fish took it with plenty of force and intent. I was so nervous and shocked i had hooked something. I remebered all what i had been taught and managed to land my first river brownie. Ah the ecstacy! 

image
It was about half a pound and was beautiful marked. After a quick snap i safely released the trout. 

I fished the same spot roughly moving 30yards or so either side of the spot and had plenty of sniffs but nothing else as dusk approached and time had ran out. I didn't care though, i had caught my first river brown! From then on in, i couldn't wait to get back out there and catch more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment